Thursday 26 November 2015

Nanogirl's speech

Yesterday Dr Michelle Dickinson, AKA Nanogirl, came to the Regent theater and did a speech about nanotechnology. She had some funny stories up her sleeve like this one... "A bit of a time ago, I went to the Auckland zoo. I went into the gecko place and 'stuck' geckos up to the ceiling. Then one of the zookeepers came in, and she said that geckos don't stick to Teflon. So the next time I went in, I took a frying pan from the warehouse that had some Teflon inside it, looked around to see the zookeeper was looking the other way, then put a gecko on it. It slid right off. Well, now you see scientists won't believe anything until they do it three times. So I did it again. Like last time, it slid straight off. But when I was about to do it again I got a tap on my shoulder. And because I had the frying pan in one hand and the gecko in the other, it looked a lot like I was about to bash the gecko with it. I tried and tried to explain to her it was for science, but she didn't listen. And I am now banned from Auckland zoo." She also showed us the world's smallest movie, which she said was made frame by frame, and each one took about three hours. It is called "A boy and his atom". Watch it on YouTube here, or just watch it on my blog.


She also had awesome science experiments for us to take a look at, like ferrofluid, waterproof sand, a half waterproof plate and nano-3D printed gecko feet.

7 comments:

  1. It really was a great night, wasn't it? I bet the supermarkets are running out of cereal fortified with iron. We'll need to buy some, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 你知道nanotechnology的中文是什麼嗎?我也不知道,剛才查了一下,原來就是奈米科技,奈米就是nanometer的中文翻譯喔!還有其實以前在台灣也常常聽到奈米科技耶!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 我是如此愛管閒事,我不得不翻譯您的評論和回复!我可以寫我的所有郵件到您在中國。

      Delete
    2. :) Hi Miss Panther, the first two sentences looked good but the third sentence is a bit out of control. I can not understand what does it mean...

      Delete
    3. Hmmm Is this better? 我是如此愛管閒事,我不得不翻譯您的評論和回复!我可以用中文寫我的所有郵件給你。

      Delete
    4. yes, it is better. I do understand it now! :)

      Delete
  3. Such a funny story. Thanks for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment.